The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the entire community, including dental practices. The following information and resources are intended to assist your practice in managing COVID-19.
Level 1 restrictions
Australia has now moved to Level 1 dental practice restrictions on the advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee.
The Dental Board of Australia has confirmed that these changes take effect immediately and we can confirm that the Level 1 restrictions are now in effect in Victoria. To provide further guidance beyond the framework of restrictions, the ADA's Infection Control Committee has developed a decision tree for Level 1 restrictions.
It is important to note that you must continue to screen patients and assess the risk of transmission in your practice context, and apply infection prevention and control precautions that address the level of risk of transmission.
We recommend that you refer to the following ADA resources:
- Dental service restrictions in COVID-19 framework
- ‘Practicing through the pandemic’ webinar
- Managing COVID-19 Guidelines available on the ADA website
The ADA continues to focus on facilitating access to appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Please refer to the ADA website for further information about PPE and stock availability.
The following resources are based on the current advice available and will be reviewed and updated as required. Make sure you continue to visit this site to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information and resources.
- Managing COVID-19 Guidelines: A guide to managing COVID-19 in your practice.
- Dental Service Restrictions in COVID-19: A framework outlining the ADA's recommendations in relation to the continuation of dental services.
- Exposure response plan: Provides guidance for dental practices in dealing with a possible exposure to COVID-19.
- Practice policy COVID-19: Provides guidance on COVID-19 risk management in the practice.
- Dental practice COVID-19 information for patients template: Can be used at the reception desk and also when confirming patient appointments to reduce the risk of contact with suspected cases of COVID-19.
Advice and support
Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
- List of COVID-19 testing clinics/assessment centres
- COVID-19 public enquiry hotlines:
- National: 1800 020 080
- Victorian: 1800 675 398
- COVID-19 clinical advice hotline (Victorian Department of Health and Human Services):
- Ph: 1300 651 160, 24 hours a day. Choose the ‘Specialist Medical Advice’ option. Pending demand, you may be asked to leave a message for return phone call.
LifeWorks ADAVB member assistance program
Members can access free counselling on personal or work issues with our member assistance program provided by LifeWorks. To make an appointment, or for phone counselling 24/7, call 1300 361 008.
- Financial support measures for businesses
- Financial support measures for individuals and households
- Australian Government fact sheets on the economic response package.
- Australian Dental Assocation: www.ada.org.au/Covid-19-Portal/Dental-Professionals
Please check your email inbox for both ADAVB and ADA updates.
- As the situation can change rapidly, regularly check the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website for updates: www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
- ADA information for members at www.ada.org.au/Covid-19-Portal/Dental-Professionals.